Re: [Tinycc-devel] a usable C subset (was: modern c++ compiler written i

From: Federico Bianchi
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] a usable C subset (was: modern c++ compiler written in C)
Date: Sun, 17 May 2015 15:22:10 +0200 (CEST)

How about SubC?

See http://t3x.org/subc/ for an overview?

Best regards
Federico Bianchi

On Sun, 17 May 2015, address@hidden wrote:

On Sat, May 16, 2015 at 04:37:12PM -0400, Sean Conner wrote:
(Hmm wonder if a K&R tcc-lookalike can be
made to fit into 64K code + 64K data? _That_ would be great :)

  If you really want a C compiler that can fit in 64K (or 128K with split
I+D) then look at Small-C.  Quite popular during the late 70s/early 80s, it
was written to run on 8-bit CPUs at the time.  The version I have is easily
1/10 the source of TCC.

It lacks unfortunately much more than prototypes and const.

I tried it for an embedded-8080 project back then and even considered
porting it to some peculiar processor and OS I used to work with
until I realized that the possible gain would not justify the effort.

Nowadays it would be almost better to resort to the "Obfuscated C" dialect,
its compiler is orders of magnitude more compact :)

Small-C/Plus (about twice as big as Small-C?) actually might be usable,
had somebody produced ports to more practical platforms than "Z80 with
undocumented instructions".

Rune