Re: [Tinycc-devel] How to use char "\"

From: Evan Langlois
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] How to use char "\"
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2014 16:58:01 -0500

Not exactly: the C Standard *allows* ? to be escaped as \?, it does not specify that it should be.

Hmm .. I stand corrected!  OK - so if it sees \? its ? and if it sees ? it checks to see if its a trigraph, and if it sees \??= then it cries.

Imagine you have a date template that looks like this: “??/??/??” It looks pretty harmless, but with trigraph conversion, it translates as “\\??”

As I read this I was thinking .. why would they escape a question mark?  And then
I saw the word trigraphs and thought .. what were trigraphs again?  And then I looked it up and went .. OH YEAH!  Not only have I never needed them, but I don't even understand WHEN I would need them.  Apparently, I will never need them and it doesn't matter.  If I haven't used em in 25 years, its not gonna happen.

The good news is tcc does not support trigraphs at all, but try gcc and clang on this ;-)

That is good news!  If it supported them I would hack the code out of the source to make my copy a little bit smaller.