Re: [Tinycc-devel] linking tinycc

From: Daniel Glöckner
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] linking tinycc
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2014 11:42:45 +0100

Hi Christian,

On Sat, Jan 04, 2014 at 10:46:15AM +0100, Christian Jullien wrote:
> If I understand you well, you want to change RELICENSING file
> From
> Daniel Glöckner            ?                   arm-gen.c
> Daniel Glöckner            NO                  arm-gen.c

done.

> What can we do if
> we want an ARM backend having BSD Like license?
> - rewrite from scratch
> - dual license (either LGPL or BSD Like). I know many projects having dual
> license.
> - you allow tcc projet to make a fork, arm-gen.c -> arm-bsd-gen.c (and maybe
> ./configure choose one or the other --bsd-only for example)

Dual licensing defeats the purpose of not agreeing to the relicensing.
It would be meaningful only if there were projects shipping modified
versions of TinyCC that drop the BSD license in favor of the LGPL and
that are more interesting to use as a base for new projects than
TinyCC itself.

Forking a BSD version is only useful if the BSD version initially
contains less features, f.ex. by relicensing an old version of that
file. I don't like playing those games.

As for rewriting that file, I think Thomas is doing a good job at
achieving that. Of the 2101 lines in that file git blame marks 525
lines as having been modified by him.

> Do you see other possible solution, what do you advice?

Another possibility is that I might change my mind in the future.

  Daniel