Re: [Tinycc-devel] tcc 0.9.26 on win32 cannot compile Sqlite3 successful

From: Thomas Preud'homme
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] tcc 0.9.26 on win32 cannot compile Sqlite3 successfully
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2013 00:09:01 +0200

Le mercredi 28 août 2013 18:58:18 Tiago Rodrigues a écrit :
> Great news about the "mob" branch, I'll be sure to check it out.
>
> For me, GDB 6.3 debugs software compiled using TCC 0.9.25 and shows the
> stack just fine, but the software compiled using 0.9.26 isn't able to load
> the symbols and shows this kind of backtrace.  I guess a debugger could
> crawl through the code following jumps to find all targets for CALL
> instructions,

I think gdb can do that. At least it can detect the prologue of a function and
I think from this it derives how the stack pointer in the prologue. I should
be able to find easily the correct file in which the magic happens if you want
to take a look.

> although I'm not sure if any one actually does that.  I do
> have access to a copy of Visual Studio with a very good debugger, but which
> unfortunately doesn't support STABS at all and which is thus useless to
> debug tcc-compiled executables.
>
> Who knows, maybe I can start looking into how debugging works and
> eventually create a tdb companion to tcc...  I'm sure my current skills
> aren't up to the task, but it's a good hobby.

gdb does a much better job with gcc generated code, even without debugging
symbol. I guess gdb is confused at the code generated by tcc.

> Thanks for the attention,
>
>           -Tiago

Best regards,

Thomas