Re: [Tinycc-devel] Added virtual io to tinycc

From: u-tcc-uepj
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Added virtual io to tinycc
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 07:28:57 +0000

Hello Domingo,

On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 12:23:35AM +0000, Domingo Alvarez Duarte wrote:
> Added what I call virtual io to tinycc this way we can make a monolitic
> executable or library that contains all needed to compile programs, truly
> tinycc portable.
>     Tested under linux exec the "mk-it" shell script and you'll end up with
> a portable tinycc executable that doesn't depend on anything else.

Is it like
 http://ptspts.blogspot.se/2009/11/tiny-self-contained-c-compiler-using.html
?

Hope you did it in a more general fashion. (I have no time slices now
to look at/test you code, sorry).

I always felt that such a thing should belong to tcc upstream, thanks for
doing this.

> The idea is inspired by what http://www.evolane.com/software/etcl/ did,
> make a no dependency tinycc library that can be added to a project and work
> without need extra files or paths for basic c compilation.

I am not a fan of "including everything" in an application package, I
prefer global file systems when you always have at hand those parts
which you _need_ but not have to keep with you all the parts you _might_ need.

Anyway, having a single executable which does all the job is sometimes
very handy and tcc looks like a very suitable target.

Cheers,
Rl