Re: [Tinycc-devel] compile TCC without another compiler

From: Paulo Henrique Torrens
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] compile TCC without another compiler
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2011 13:30:58 +0000

> Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2011 14:11:40 +0100
> From: address@hidden
> To: address@hidden
> Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] compile TCC without another compiler
>
> On Wed, 14 Dec 2011 18:10:45 +0530
> harish badrinath <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > I know this is bit of a OT question, but is it possible to compile TCC
> > or any other C compiler, without any another C compiler.
> >
> > Suppose i have a system with busybox and a bunch of symlinks, how do i
> > really (as in, in the literal sense of the word) bootstrap my system.
>
> You dont... unless you are a hard core masochist :-)
>
> You would have to write a C compiler and linker in assembler first.
> Of course, assuming you have an assembler available.
>
> What do you want to acheive? If it's just a theoretical question
> on how this has been done before there were compilers? Then you should
> read books on old computer systems and computer history from the 50s and 60s.
> If you want to run tcc on an embedded system, then cross compile it on
> your PC.
>
> Attila Kinali
>
> --
> The trouble with you, Shev, is you don't say anything until you've saved
> up a whole truckload of damned heavy brick arguments and then you dump
> them all out and never look at the bleeding body mangled beneath the heap
> -- Tirin, The Dispossessed, U. Le Guin

I am such a masochist! *-*

How about this T-diagram (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-diagram)?

| C       ASM |
     | C | C       Shellscript |
             | Shellscript |

Yeah, I mean, a c-to-shellscript (c2sh?) compiler written in shellscript... worth trying it!

Te reto a no ir a P! - [MegaPost] - Mejorado! - Taringa! | http://www.taringa.net/posts/imagenes/113...