Re: [Tinycc-devel] configury (was const_wanted)

From: Thomas Preud'homme
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] configury (was const_wanted)
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2011 19:55:42 +0200

Le mercredi 3 août 2011 19:36:47, grischka a écrit :
> Thomas Preud'homme wrote:
> >> Why is it necessary to look in two directories at runtime for
> >> elf_interp and for the crt objects?
> >
> > Actually I realized only today how big mistake it was for the elf
> > interpreter (it's part of the ABI). This will be fixed in Debian today
> > or tomorrow. As to crt objects, I assume they are not part of the ABI
> > since they are not referenced in
> > http://www.x86-64.org/documentation/abi.pdf. Furthermore, they are on
> > /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/ on my system, with symlink from /usr/lib to
> > them. I don't know if the symlink will be kept, so I added the code to
> > search them in multiarch directories. I thought crt objects follow the
> > same pattern as libraries and include directory. If I made a huge
> > mistake here again, please tell me.
>
> As I wrote previously I don't know anything about multiarch.
Actually, now I think about it I'm pretty sure about crt objects since for
some time there was no symlink for them and gcc was still able to compile
program (tinycc not obviously) and programs could be executed.

> However as long as the issues are not clear, I think we should
> not do anything so specialized in TCC which later may turn out
> to be wrong or unnecessary.
As you wish. It was just a bit more convenient this way. I can live without
it.

> What about for 0.9.26 to let people just specify all needed
> paths directly like so
>
>    --tcc_sysincludepaths
>    --tcc_libpaths
Ok for these 2.
>    --tcc_crtprefix
Actually I'd like to be able to try 2 prefixs, to reduce the dependencies
between glibc and tcc. This way tcc could work well both with the old glibc
(which install crt objects in /usr/lib) and the current glibc (which install
crt objects in /usr/lib/<triplet>). If not OK for you, I'll have to choose
between stricter dependency (only depend on recent glibc) or add a small patch
to search both directories.
>    --tcc_elfinterp
Forget about elfinterp, it was a big mistake from me. It should stay like it is
now, that is there is only one possible elf interp for each architecture.

> Would that work for your debian package?
Yes, --tcc_sysincludepaths, --tcc_libpaths and --tcc_crtprefix would be enough.
I'd just appreciate we can have 2 prefixs for crt objects if possible.

> Such it would be simpler and more flexible, and usuable also
> for cross-compilers and other non-standard configuration.
True. Maybe options should use - instead of _ to be consistent, but that is
cosmetic detail, I really don't care about that.

> What do you think?
Great, let's do that.

> --- grischka
Best regards,