Re: [Tinycc-devel] Allow configuration of tcc libraries search path

From: grischka
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Allow configuration of tcc libraries search path
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2011 18:42:03 +0200

Thomas Preud'homme wrote:
As I understand it is possible to support multilib without any special
code in tcc.  Without CONFIG_TCC_MULTILIB_SUBDIR, AFF_MULTILIB,
CONFIG_TCC_EXTRA_LDDIR, CONFIG_TCC_INCSUBDIR, just without anything
"MULTI_EXTRA_SUB" whatsoever.

Do you think that is possible?
Yes, I think so if the include and library path can be colon seperated. I understand your concern about tcc to stay tiny. Without touching tcc itself, would it be ok to add a --multilib-subdir switch in configure which would set the library and include path correctly? That way the compiler itself would stay small but give a convenient interface at build time.

Sure, we want convenience.  Plus tinyness plus best possible
design plus all features. ;)

However, as to design, your own sketch from the other mail started
with "=== Requirements ===".

Right, so now we need to be serious about this first.  Is what
we are doing, really REQUIRED, to begin with?  Because otherwise
we risk to misinterpret the nature of the feature.  In this case:
Is it a matter of configuration or do we need runtime behavior.

Anyway, if it is all feasible at configuration time, the better.

I'd assume for the native compiler, configure can test, for
instance where crt1.o is.  For cross compilers we need the
switches.  Hm, actually me thinks we need sets of switches,
rather.  Such as:

   ./configure \
      --enable-cross=x86_64 --multidir-x86_64=lib64 \
      --enable-cross=arm --sysroot-arm=~/armroot

Could get pretty longish.  Maybe separate configure/make
for each:

   ./configure
   make
   ./configure --cross=x86_64 --multidir=lib64
   make
   ./configure --cross=arm --sysroot~/armroot
   make

Or maybe one make + additive configure, like this

   ./configure
   ./configure --cross=x86_64 --multidir=lib64
   ./configure --cross=arm --sysroot~/armroot
   make

Not that I expect you to do all that, now.

--- grischka