Re: [Tinycc-devel] Working on new features

From: grischka
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Working on new features
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 22:32:53 +0200

Frédéric Feret wrote:

Good work.  Can you push this on our "mob" branch?

Some questions:
- is the rename from IMAGE_ to PECOFF_ really necessary?
- can you preserve the directory structure?
- can you split the changes into separate commits, say one
  for 16-bit assembly, one for x86_64, and so on. (not a big
  deal but would be nice)

Thanks,

--- grischka

Hi grischka,

> I use TCC to compile TCC. I tried to compile it with PE support under Windows, and I obtained some error messages, due to a conflict with the IMAGE_* structures defined in winnt.h.
So, I renamed IMAGE_* to PECOFF_* and removed #ifndef IMAGE_NT_SIGNATURE.
With these changes, I could compile correctly TCC under Windows with TCC.

Basically, The IMAGE_ definitions in tccpe.c are NOT meant to be
used as long as windows.h is included (from tcc.h).  They are only
there to build a cross compiler on say linux.

In any case, please, whatever the problem is, try to find another
solution.

> I will use the latest sources of TCC to re-implement the changes I made. And I'll make
a patch between features additions.

> The changes will be in the "mob" repository, but I really do not see how you do it. I'm typing "/git fetch git://repo.or.cz/tinycc.git mob:pub-mob"/, and that does not work! / :-(
/Help, please!/

You first need to clone the repo of course:

    git clone git://repo.or.cz/tinycc.git

To apply and split your changes per features, I would do this:
1) have two directories, one with your tree, one with current
   git/mob
2) use WinMerge to compare the two directories (recursively)
3) Copy those hunks that belong to the same feature, into the git tree
   (Alt-right-arrow in WinMerge).  Also copy new fiies as needed.
4) Optionally (advanced): check that it compiles correctly
5) use "git gui" to commit the feature with a descriptive message
6) repeat with 2) for the next feature until no differences are left

After that you can check everything with "gitk --all".

For commit messages, write one short line for the summary and
optionally more lines below for details, with an empty line
between the summary and details.  All lines should have newlines
after about 50-60 chars.

If you made a mistake with one commit you can always add additional
changes to the last commit with "amend", or you can reset your branch
to some earlier state, or you can make another branch at the earlier
commit, correct it and then "cherry-pick" the rest on top of it.

If everything is fine, push to the public repo.  (See instructions
at top of http://repo.or.cz/w/tinycc.git)

--- grischka

/Best regards,
Tommy