Re: [Tinycc-devel] Re: TCC:cannot find -l"xyz.dll"

From: lostgallifreyan
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Re: TCC:cannot find -l"xyz.dll"
Date: Sat, 4 Apr 2009 21:51:53 +0100

grischka <address@hidden> wrote:
(04/04/2009 16:40)

>As people seem consequently to ignore what's called readme.txt,
>meybe we should just get rid of it and have some Windows section
>in tcc-doc.html, respectively extend what's already there:
>(5.3 PE-i386 file generation)

I think that might partly be because the first lines suggest it is additional
reading, so people do start there but skip it and return to it only later,
trying to take on new info at a time when not yet sure of their ground, so its
info doesn't sink in. Happened to me for a while... I think the sequencing of
the info is crucial. The Quick start section is a very good idea. Even when
lots of work must be done (particularly when so?) I think it's vital that some
early results are seen, to encourage effort.

Separating Windows info from the rest I don't know about.. Might be less
daunting to make transitions if instead those things common to all are placed
first, to ease later changes. I think the simplification of the quick start
examples has implications for stuff like paths. It's ok to let Windows and
Linux users be expected to figure out how their own system paths work, but also
it is worth directly stating, very early, that TCC can be passed to Windows by
a DOS path, but that things should be passed to TCC by quoted full long name
paths. That assertion would save a lot of time for newcomers. Trust me,  "5.3
PE-i386 file generation" is not the first place a Windows newcomer is likely to
look. :) The place to hook our attention to it is the first point in Quick
Start where a command has implications specific to Windows. That signpost can
be placed very early though, along with a remark about paths to and for TCC.

One thing that might be best moved to the quick start, as tutorials are likely
to want this, is that pair of commands for building a program that uses an .rc
resource. Whether the differences between windows.h in tcc and that of gcc are
significant I don't know. If in doubt I'd probably temporarily replace the gcc
one with tcc's windows.h file, as an experiment with that worked for me, though
either file worked ok. I guess if the resource was compiled using C either will
work.