[Tinycc-devel] Odyce and TCC, any LGPL problem?

From: KHMan
Subject: [Tinycc-devel] Odyce and TCC, any LGPL problem?
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2008 02:09:15 +0800

Hi all,

I mentioned Odyce, a Tcl binding in an earlier post. The URL is:
http://www.evolane.com/software/odyce/index.html

Unfortunately, perhaps I shouldn't have mentioned Odyce. Any
Evolane people on this list? There is only a single executable,
TCC *appears* to be embedded inside that executable (not sure if
it's static linkage), and there is no LGPL notice anywhere to be
found in the Win32 or Linux packages.

I do not think this is common (or fair or honourable) practice,
and I can't seem to find a link to source code. The packages have
EULAs with just the Tcl license, plus a catch-all line: "The
Package may contain software covered by other licenses:" I doubt
the catch-all is appropriate legal text given that TCC is LGPL.

At a glance, ETcl looks like freeware, not F/LOSS software, and
their business model is consultancy. Is this (TCC embedded inside
a single executable, no license text) acceptable usage of TCC?
Since I was the one who mentioned Odyce, it's my fault, so I had
to point it out. I will leave it to the developers to take action,
if deemed necessary.

Sorry if anyone thinks this is noise... HTH,
--
Cheers,
Kein-Hong Man (esq.)