Re: [Tinycc-devel] tiny_impdef.c raw file format on CVS is Windows forma

From: KHMan
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] tiny_impdef.c raw file format on CVS is Windows format?
Date: Sat, 08 Dec 2007 15:55:17 +0800

Philippe Ribet wrote:
> KHMan wrote:
>> Hanzac Chen wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> On Dec 6, 2007 4:32 PM, KHMan wrote:
>>> [snip]
>>>
>>>    If it's a CVSNT problem, then I can't really help troubleshoot, no
>>>    experience with it.
>>>
>>> I think it's CVSNT problem, on Windows, the default setting is using DOS
>>> format. I believe the CVS client knows it's talking with the server on
>>> Unix and converts all the text files to DOS format. But if the text file
>>> on the server is DOS format, it will also do the conversion.
>>
>> I guess line ending conversion needs to be 'smart', otherwise --
>> disaster. Thanks for the report.
>>
> May be a policy could be defined? For example, all files could be in
> unix style in the repository. It's up to the windows tools to convert
> them (if needed) in windows style when downloaded. In fact, many windows
> tools will be able to understand unix style, which means conversion or
> no conversion will be no problem.

My personal view: Like it or not, other CRLF files may enter the
archive sometime in the future. If not for tcc, then for other
projects where contributors work on different platforms. Setting
policies is a waste of time; this project has no resources, none
whatsoever, so let's not waste time on bureaucracy.

Developers who are platform neutral should be well prepared for
this; line endings should be a non-issue. I would hazard to guess
that most others on this list do not have any problems.

It's 2007, on Win32, developers who use multi-platform code should
be using a modern editor. Hence, I think a "no conversion" policy
should be practiced. Being of suspicious nature, I have never
asked any tool to transparently do such conversions for me, and as
far as I can recall, I've never had any problems with such things.
I like my bytes transferred exactly the way they are, thank you
very much. :-)

In any case, any tool that converts CRLF to CRCRLF is horribly
broken, and a bug report should be filed.

--
Cheers,
Kein-Hong Man (esq.)