Re: [Tinycc-devel] Segmentation fault compiling jslong.c

From: Dave Dodge
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Segmentation fault compiling jslong.c
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 19:36:57 -0400

On Fri, Sep 21, 2007 at 06:04:01PM -0500, Rob Landley wrote:
> I have a draft of the spec itself, in html format.

BTW (this has probably been mentioned before) n1124 is a newer
freely-available draft, which is closer to the C99 final than n869
(which is what I assume your HTML version is based on).  The downside
is that n1124 only comes in PDF format.  I still go to n869 first
myself since I can search/browse it in a text editor.

> that I'm waiting for "gonna" to become an official contraction of
> "going to",

Aside: OED documents "gonna" but lists it as a US colloquialism.
Dates to 1913, similar to "ganna" and "gaunna" which date to 1806.

> Wandering back on topic, people who care about formal mathematical
> models use lexx and yacc.  People who want to turn source code into
> object code in a fast and simple way with minimal external
> dependencies hand code recursive descent parsers in ways that make
> theoretical mathematicians' skin crawl.

Another problem with lexx and yacc is that it's nearly impossible to
get a clean build from their output if you have warnings enabled.  My
latest workaround was to write my own generator using parsing
expression grammers, which spits out threadsafe recursive descent
parsers.

                                                  -Dave Dodge