Re: [Tinycc-devel] More fun with comparison between pointer and integer.

From: Dave Dodge
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] More fun with comparison between pointer and integer...
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2007 03:57:38 -0400

On Thu, Sep 06, 2007 at 02:13:53AM -0500, Rob Landley wrote:
> On Wednesday 05 September 2007 9:55:43 pm Dave Dodge wrote:
> > Cray had some architectures with 64-bit bytes, but simulated 8-bit
> > bytes in userspace by using otherwise-unused high bits in a pointer to
[...]
> Again, does Linux run there?

Aside: no, but they did run an 80s-era System V Unix with this crazy
design.  I pretty easily got an existing Unix application of mine
running on one of these machines back in the early 90s, though it
probably helped that the app was already designed to be portable.  I
think a good chunk of the GNU toolset (minus gcc) worked on those
systems as well, though I don't recall for sure.

                                                  -Dave Dodge