Re: [Tinycc-devel] Compiling qemu-0.8.2 with tcc (yes, I am insane).

From: Daniel Glöckner
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Compiling qemu-0.8.2 with tcc (yes, I am insane).
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 22:59:43 +0200

On Thu, Oct 12, 2006 at 04:35:31PM -0400, Rob Landley wrote:
> I just don't see why what machine you're running the compiler on is any of
> the
> compiler's business.  It should only care what machine it's producing target
> binaries for.  So the difference between cross-compiling and native compiling
> is pretty darn artificial, from the compiler's point of view.

TinyCC assumes that the target has the same endianness und floatingpoint
format as the host.

> And you have a code generator backend.  Currently specified by the name of
> the
> compiler binary you're running, but "-m arch" would work too.

That requires separate compilation of the backends due to name clashes,
many ifs instead of #ifdefs and a lot less constants.

Who really needs more than one target and doesn't have enough space for
separate binaries?

Keep it simple.

  Daniel