Re: [Tinycc-devel] Arguments eval order

From: Erik_L_Nelson
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Arguments eval order
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 17:10:00 -0400

I'd suggest that as long as tcc conforms to the C standard (which it seems
to in this respect) then no change is in order.  Helping cover up bugs
doesn't seem like a great use of resources.

Erik L Nelson

             "Philippe Ribet"
             <address@hidden
             ine.fr>                                                    To
             Sent by:                  address@hidden
             tinycc-devel-boun                                          cc
             ces+erik_l_nelson
             =countrywide.com@                                     Subject
             nongnu.org                [Tinycc-devel] Arguments eval order

             09/27/2006 04:56
             PM

             Please respond to
             address@hidden
                  nu.org

Hello every tcc lovers,

tcc and gcc have different behaviour for arguments evaluation order (for
function or procedure call).
gcc evaluates arguments in reverse order (from the last one to the first
one)
tcc evaluates arguments in source code order (from the first one to the
last one)
C language does not specify evaluation order, optimiser are free to change.

I can see three situations:
- we keep current tcc behaviour unchaged. This is allowed, but may break
some -bad- code running fine with gcc with very hard to find bugs.
- we change to gcc behaviour to increase gcc compatibility.
- we change to gcc behaviour and add a flag for "in order" arguments
evaluation. This option may help to find buggy code who depends on
evaluation order.

Any comments?

--
Philippe Ribet

                         The README file said
              "Requires Windows 95, NT 4.0, or better."
                    So... I installed it on Linux!

Confidentiality Notice: The information contained in and transmitted with this
communication is strictly confidential, is intended only for the use of the
intended recipient, and is the property of Countrywide Financial Corporation or
its affiliates and subsidiaries.  If you are not the intended recipient, you
are hereby notified that any use of the information contained in or transmitted
with the communication or dissemination, distribution, or copying of this
communication is strictly prohibited by law.  If you have received this
communication in error, please immediately return this communication to the
sender and delete the original message and any copy of it in your possession.