Re: [Tinycc-devel] TCC code generation for a stack based VM

From: Basile STARYNKEVITCH
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] TCC code generation for a stack based VM
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2004 22:21:07 +0100

On Tue, Nov 02, 2004 at 09:13:08PM +0100, Fabrice Bellard wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I really think that a register based VM target would be simpler to add
> to TCC, and surely faster than a stack based VM.
>
> I suggest the following parameters:
>
> - 3 general integer registers, 3 general double registers, load and
> store based.
>  [....]

Interested people might consider using GNU lightning, which is a C API
to generate machine code (on x86, PowerPC and Sparc), using a RISCuy
abstraction (with 6 integer registers & 8 floating point registers)
quite similar to above.

See http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/lightning for more. If
interested, you'll better use the CVS snapshot of Lightning (which has
important bugs corrected w.r.t. the old 1.1 release).

Sorry for the shameless plug, but
http://cristal.inria.fr/~starynke/ocamljit.html contains a paper
http://cristal.inria.fr/~starynke/starynke_ocamljit_july2004.ps which
has (among other) a summary of Lightning features.

Regards.

email: basile<at>starynkevitch<dot>net
8, rue de la Fa?encerie, 92340 Bourg La Reine, France