Re: [Tinycc-devel] TinyCC-Win32 Port Created on Sf.net

From: Fabrice Bellard
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] TinyCC-Win32 Port Created on Sf.net
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 23:09:37 +0200

I agree that a second project just for porting TinyCC to win32 is not worthwhile. I hope this is a temporary solution. As I said some time ago to Thomas, I agree to include patches for win32 into TinyCC provided they are not too intrusive. I also clearly prefer using the MinGW tools instead of Visual C++. I can also put links to win32 executables directly on the TinyCC web page, as I do for the Debian and Redhat packages.

Note that there is already a win32 target for TinyCC (tcc.exe in the Makefile). I am not testing it very often, but it used to work, at least to generate code in memory. Using MSYS and MinGW, TinyCC should be easily compilable in a Windows environment.

Fabrice.

Charlie Gordon wrote:
This is a sad decision!
Why split a project just for the sake of porting it to Windows ?
Why can't you just add the necessary features to the existing project ?
It is going to be very difficult to keep both projects in sync !
Why did Fabrice not respond and object to this ?
Take after the Lucid emacs split : jwz did this just to make a stable
version ship... It quickly became impossible to resync, and now has become a
major religious schism (this is the XEmacs story).
Are you planning to duplicate tinycc source tree or just extend it with Gui
and tools extensions ?
Please don't do it!
Fabrice please react to this!

Charlie Gordon.