Re: [Tinycc-devel] Optimizing code for expressions

From: Jim Peters
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Optimizing code for expressions
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 08:14:56 +0100

Alan Grimes wrote:
> > I would prefer a modification in which the program is transformed in an
> > intermediate RISC like machine language. A first step would be to add a
> > new target for TCC to generate this RISC like language, and then to
> > write the converter to x86 code.
>
> Hmmzers...
>
> Off the top of my head I would propose MMIX, a hypothetical architecture
> by Donald Kunth, presented in The art of Computer Programing 2nd Ed.

Why go so far as an intermediate RISC instruction set? -- why not use
a simple Forth-like stack language representation?  That would be a
flat command stream.  Otherwise you have to allocate registers once,
then reallocate them later on.

Or is there some work that can be done in converting to a more
concrete RISC instruction set which is beneficial to the later
conversion to ix86 or ARM or PPC or whatever?  (i.e. some aspect in
which a stack-based command language is too abstract and not concrete
enough?)

Jim

--
 Jim Peters                  (_)/=\~/_(_)                 address@hidden