tftb-help

[Tftb-help] tfrsp doubt (fwd)

From: Eric Chassande-Mottin
Subject: [Tftb-help] tfrsp doubt (fwd)
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 10:38:55 +0200 (CEST)

hi,

your observation is related to finite size effects. we analyze signals of finite duration. to compute a TFR, you need to decide what to do at the boundaries. most (if not all) routines of the TFTB (including tfrsp) assume that the signal is zero beyond the boundaries.

consequently, from the definition of a short-term Fourier analysis, http://gdr-isis.org/tftb/tutorial/node34.html the signal selected by the analysis window when it is centered around a point near a boundary is partly zero. at t=0, half of the right hand part of the windowed signal is zero. we see less signal, thus the spectrogram amplitude decreases.

if you are not satisfied by this, you may like to consider TFRs which conserves the support of the signal (i.e., which are zero when the signal is zero). see Flandrin, Time-frequency/time-scale analysis, Academic Press for more details on this point.

bye, e.