Re: [Texmacs-dev] Julia plugin

From: Massimiliano Gubinelli
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Julia plugin
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2021 16:16:31 +0200

Thanks Kostas!

> On 13. Apr 2021, at 14:43, Kostas Oikonomou <k.oikonomou@att.net> wrote:
>
> I was happy to see Max's email on the Julia Discource list.   I'm attaching a
> plugin I developed for Julia/SymPy, i.e. for using Julia with the SymPy
> package, or even without it.   It is by no means complete, but it's usable,
> and I hope it proves useful in some way to further development efforts.
>
>                                                       Kostas

 it does even more than what I wrote so far :). I've started writing the plugin
because I wanted to learn a bit of Julia which seems quite interesting. You can
find my code here:

https://github.com/mgubi/texmacs/tree/wip-julia

I have some code to capture more consistently the stdout and stderr streams,
but not yet all the additional functionalities. I will integrate your code to
mine.

Let me say that for the moment I think we need to concentrate our developments
to the Jupyter kernel (Jeroen had made many progresses there). It seems to me
that both Julia and Python are well supported in Jupyter, so having a good
support for the Jupyter protocol is important to us.

It would be interesting if people start to use our jupyter plugin and report
errors/suggestions, e.g. using this page

https://github.com/mgubi/tm_jupyter

or Jeroens':

https://github.com/woutersj/tm_jupyter

Also would be cool to have examples, use cases, etc...

For what I've seen of Julia so far I like it and it is quite impressive. Also
I've found that one of the developers has written a nice interpreted
lisp/scheme called femtolisp which is small and according to my benchmarks as
fast as s7 so it could be another candidate to replace Guile 1.8 if we ever
wants to.

Best
Max