Re: [Texmacs-dev] Overwriting definitions with tm-define

From: Giovanni Piredda
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Overwriting definitions with tm-define
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2020 13:55:06 +0100

On 24.12.20 12:45, TeXmacs wrote:
Hi,

Not all scheme functions were defined using tm-define.
The function 'translate' is defined in the glue, so it cannot be tm-overloaded.

(cut)

Thanks for the explanations

I do not think that we need a separate primitive for overloaded definitions
(as Max suggests).  On the other hand, we might want to use different scoping
rules in the future.  We might also automatically consider a tm-define
with a fixed number of arguments as overloading potential previous definitions
with different numbers of arguments.  Maybe that was what Giovanni was
expecting.

I was not thinking about overloading when I asked the question, but only about redefinition. That is, I was expecting that re-writing a tm-defined function would overwrite it (and that I would not notice that a previous definition existed).

Till now I have looked at Guile as to a "magic" that allows me to control the behaviour of a program written in C++ through Scheme procedures---because of this, I was expecting "uniform magic" (i.e. anything is possible).

G.