Re: [Texmacs-dev] shortcut for tables..

From: Massimiliano Gubinelli
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] shortcut for tables..
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2020 13:35:13 +0100

Hi Joris,
 (I'm moving the discussion to texmacs-dev).

Thinking about shortcuts I really like the idea of "discovery" new shortcuts via hints in the status bar.
This is partially implemented with the shortcut mentioned by Vincent, but there seems to be a slight bug because in table-kdb.scm we have

(kbd-map
  (:mode in-table?)
  ("table N" "" "New table (t: tabular, b: block)")
  ("table H" "" "Horizontal table alignment (l: left, c: center, r: right)")
  ("table V" "" "Vertical table alignment: (b: bottom, c: center, t: top)")
  ("table B" "" "Modify table border (options: =, l, r, b, t)")

and the "New table" partial command would be also useful outside the table mode, so without the :mode attribute.

This kind of explorative commands are more commont nowadays, many interfaces provide a "spotlight" kind of input line where the user start to write something and the program provide possible command completions with the associated shortcuts.

Similarly we can provide some more systematic hints in the status line, as you do above. The status line is better than opening a window which disrupt the current operations (e.g. when doing a presentation).

Best
Max