[Texmacs-dev] Git?

From: Massimiliano Gubinelli
Subject: [Texmacs-dev] Git?
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2020 14:39:35 +0100

Dear Joris, dear all,

 I would like to discuss the possibility to move the main repository to git,
maybe when TeXmacs 2.1 will be released. I'm using Git since few years now and
I find it neatly superior to Svn even for our "centralized" use case. Branching
is so much easier that we could maintain a stable branch and have a
developement branch to test more risky changes. Moreover contributions from
developers which do not belong to the core team can be merged without loosing
the original creator which makes much more sense for an open source project
which would like to attract developers.

Currently we maintain a couple of git mirrors, but this does not solve the
problem of seamless integration of external contributions (there are two or
three reasonable pull requests in the github mirror). And in my opinion would
make easier for Joris to look upon the work of other people and give
constructive feedback (instead of him be obliged to adapt patches), so that the
developers (including myself) learn better ways to write code for TeXmacs.

Joris, what is your opinion?

Max