[Texmacs-dev] TeXmacs and jupyter

From: Massimiliano Gubinelli
Subject: [Texmacs-dev] TeXmacs and jupyter
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2019 11:29:40 +0200

Dear all,

 I was looking at the jupyter protocol, in view of integrating it with TeXmacs.
Instead of reimplementing everything (which seems quite complex) we could try
to modify the jupyter console here

https://github.com/jupyter/jupyter_console

to make it output the TeXmacs plugin protocol instead that using standard
output, in this way we can call it from TeXmacs and have jupyter kernels at our
disposal. This will make available many other systems inside TeXmacs.

It should not be very difficult but I need some help since I’m not very
familiar with python. In particular I do not undestand how we should do: surely
we want to branch the jupyter console to have our own version adapted to
TeXmacs protocol, but in order for it to run it would need to have some other
packages available (like the one implementing the jupyter protocol, and some
other, like for example pygments, to colorise code). How one can be sure that
these are available on the client machine? Is there a standard way  to require
packages? Can one assume they are always installed? I have a very poor
understanding of Python ecosystems.

Are  you interested in join this effort?

Miguel? Darcy?

Best
Max