[Texmacs-dev] Building TeXmacs on Ubuntu 16.04

From: Daniel Bump
Subject: [Texmacs-dev] Building TeXmacs on Ubuntu 16.04
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2017 13:08:07 -0700

Dear TeXmacs developers,

I am trying to build TeXmacs 1.99.5 on Ubuntu 16.04.
My processor is a Xeon E3-1225. I can run your
distributed binary but it crashes too often on
this machine, so I would like to try a native build.

When I run ./configure, I get a message about gmp
not being installed.

checking for __gmpf_init in -lgmp... no
configure: error: compulsory library gmp not found

I have installed libgmp-dev, libgmp10, libgmp3-dev,
guile 1.8. There is another libgmpv4 package but
when I attempt to install it, the package manager
(synaptic) tells me it's going to uninstall guile 1.8.
Apparently libgmp10 is really gmp 6.x and I can't
remove it without breaking stuff.

Do you have any insight into this problem?

Daniel Bump