Re: [Texmacs-dev] Maxima inline plots

From: Marduk Bolaños
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Maxima inline plots
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2017 18:45:00 +0000

Dear all,

I am happy to tell you that I solved it. Now we can have LabView-style
plots in the sense that one can switch between the plot and the code
behind it. This also enables one to have reproducible plots.

So here is the code:

In maxima-menus.scm change this function (actually this was the culprit)

 (tm-define (plugin-output-simplify name t)
 (:require (== name "maxima"))
 ;;(display* "Simplify output " t "\n")
 (if (func? t 'document)
     (with u (list-find (cdr t) maxima-contains-prompt?)
       ;; Changed "" to (maxima-output-simplify t)
        (if u (maxima-output-simplify u) (maxima-output-simplify t)))
     (maxima-output-simplify t)))

In texmacs-maxima.lisp add:

(defun tm_out (raw_data)
 (let ((beg (string (code-char 2)))
        (end (string (code-char 5))))
   (concatenate 'string beg "ps:" raw_data end)))

(defmfun $ps_out (filename)
 (with-open-file (stream (concatenate 'string $maxima_tempdir "/" filename))
                  (let ((contents (make-string (file-length stream))))
                    (read-sequence contents stream)
                    ;; princ does not enclose the string in quotes
                    (princ (tm_out contents))
                    (princ ""))))

(defmfun $ps_plot2d (&rest args)
 #$set_plot_option([gnuplot_term, ps])$
 #$set_plot_option([gnuplot_out_file, "plot.ps"])$
 (apply '$plot2d args))

In my-init-texmacs.scm:

(kbd-map
("A-."   (make-session "maxima" "default"))

("A-f"   (begin (insert-go-to `(script-input "maxima" "default" "ps_out(\"plot.ps\")"
"") '(2 0))
                 (set-pretty-preference "automatic quotes" "Disabled")))
)

I use it like this:

+ Insert a big figure
+ A-f A-.
+ Plot something in Maxima
+ Toggle the script to show the plot/show the Maxima code

Of course, this procedure also works with other languages and even with
equations. So no more "after a long calculation that I will not show you
and maybe the result is wrong".

Let's bring scientific authoring to the 21st century!

P.S.

This solves Bill Eaton's enquiry from 2013
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/texmacs-dev/2013-05/msg00024.html