Re: [Texmacs-dev] Extra specific otf fonts

From: Sam Liddicott
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Extra specific otf fonts
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2012 14:43:17 +0000

Wow, this is complicated.

I found I also had to use the option "--delete-font-cache -q" first or deleted fonts were still being listed, despite (font-database-build-local).
I ALSO have to restart after running (font-database-build-local) or I get wrong fonts used in the preview and document.

For the sans font (which has an italic variant)
with otf, <em|...> shows italic, but <with|font-series|bold|...> has no effect
but ith .ttf, <em|...> has no effect but <with|font-series|bold|...> does show bold
(the otf has weights 100, 300, 500, 700)

With .otf fonts, the serif font is used in the dialog sample text where the sans font should be shown, but in the document it is OK.

Will it help if I send you the fonts?

On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 8:23 AM, Sam Liddicott <address@hidden> wrote:

On Sun, Dec 16, 2012 at 9:49 PM, Joris van der Hoeven <address@hidden> wrote:
On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 10:39:58AM +0000, Sam Liddicott wrote:
> I updated SVN and rebuilt. With or without my extra patch to make the otf
> museo work, I cannot get it or other .ttf fonts to appear in the font
> selector.
>
> I tried copying to ~/.TeXmacs/fonts/truetype as well as ~/.fonts (I
> committed a patch a short while ago so that ~/.fonts is checked as that is
> where gnome installs personal fonts).

I'm sorry, you should also do

    (font-database-build-local)

yes that made it work.

Interestingly "Museo For Dell" and "Museo Sans For Dell" both display the same. The sans font shows the non-sans font in the sample text.

The styles correctly show in the selector box but make no difference to the sample text which is the problem I was having initially - perhaps suggesting that I did it right?

Inline image 1

Inline image 2

However OpenOffice shows correctly:
Inline image 3

in order to update your database.
I am not sure yet how automatic we can make this.

Well I think local ~/.fonts can be scanned for changes each time it starts. If a file is added, removed, or modified since last start then that font can be removed from the cached list and then new files can be added.

Thanks for your help.

Sam

> Only Dell I think. But I think your changes should support any ttf or otf font?

Yes.

Best wishes, --Joris