[Texmacs-dev] TeXmacs fulfils ancient prophecy

From: Sam Liddicott
Subject: [Texmacs-dev] TeXmacs fulfils ancient prophecy
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 23:47:05 +0000

Well.. not quite; but I saw a note at http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/people/lamport/pubs/pubs.html#bakery which compares with literate programming and my plans to have graphic representations of tables and relationships that are emitted as initialized C structs in source code (something I could not do with LyX but now could do with TeXmacs)

PHIL: A Semantic Structural Graphical Editor  (with Joseph Goguen)
SRI International Technical Report (August 1983).
No electronic version available.
SRI had a contract with Philips to design a graphical editor for structured documents (such as programs).  Goguen and I were the prime instigators and principal investigators of the project.  This is the project's final report.  Rindert Schutten of Philips visited SRI and implemented a very preliminary version.  I felt that our design was neither novel enough to constitute a major contribution nor modest enough to be the basis for a practical system at that time, and I thought the project had been dropped.  However, Goguen informed me much later that some version of the system was still being used in the early 90s, and that it had evolved into a tool for VLSI layout, apparently called MetaView.