Re: [Texmacs-dev] FriCAS plugin

From: Joris van der Hoeven
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] FriCAS plugin
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2011 18:37:24 +0200

Dear Alexander,

Sorry for my extremely late reply; I have been working on other things
in the first half of this year and missed several of the discussions
on our mailing lists.

On Fri, Mar 04, 2011 at 08:07:24AM +1000, Alexander Solovets wrote:
> I used to write here that I had been working on the new FriCAS
> interface for TeXmacs. It is "new", because there is another interface
> for Axiom, but is has been considered by its author as slow and
> inappropriate. So this one works through the native support of TeXmacs
> format in FriCAS and hoped to be faster and more flexible. The TeXmacs
> native support code has just been added to the trunk, so you can try
> it. Compilation steps are described here
> http://fricas.sourceforge.net/doc/INSTALL.txt .

Thanks for the plug-in; I committed it. If you ask to
join the TeXmacs project on Savannah, then you can commit
further changes yourself.

In particular, you are now supposed to add a 'doc' subdirectory,
with some basic documentation, as explained in an earlier message
on texmacs-dev.

> I hope we will be able to significantly improve FriCAS support and
> make a pair TeXmacs + FriCAS competitive with the proprietary CAS-s
> such as Mathematica.

Yes! Some ideas in this direction:

  1) Mathematical input, tab completion, etc.
  2) Using Fricas as a scripting language (see the Maxima plug-in).
  3) Being able to convert the Hyperdoc documentation
     into TeXmacs format and browse it natively.

Best, --Joris