Re: [Texmacs-dev] Bookmarks

From: Victor Porton
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Bookmarks
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2011 23:21:42 +0400

26.07.2011, 21:45, "Sam Liddicott" <address@hidden>:
> On 26/07/11 17:59, Victor Porton wrote:
>
>>  I am faced with the following problem:
>>
>>  I have a math article which I am currently preparing for publication.
>>
>>  I need to note the point in the document until which I already finished
>> editing (that is I edited the document until the point but yet not after the
>> point).
>>
>>  This point should not be visible for readers of the PDF file.
>>
>>  We need some persistent bookmarks in TeXmacs as a solution of my problem.
>>
>>  Let's discuss how it's better to implement this.
>>
>>  The first question: Should we store the bookmark in the .tm file or in some
>> other place (such as TeXmacs preferences)?
>
> I would suggest that we extend the label tag, so that some labels will
> appear as PDF bookmarks. I'm not sure what you mean when you say "should
> not be visible for readers of the PDF file". I think you mean it should
> not be visible in the page but can be visible in the PDF bookmark list.
>
> I could look at the PDFmark docs and find out how to render a bookmark
> (I already render link targets and link actions).

No, I mean that I want bookmarks for my own internal use, not for readers of
the PDF file.

We may probably use the <label> tag, but I'd like to have some more convenient
user interface than to insert a label tag and enter its argument (some argument
value for <label> should be set by default, when entering it with the purpose
to set a bookmark for the document author).

With the current TeXmacs <label> tag does not suffice with this purpose, as
there are no way to quickly find a label tag in the document, while for a
bookmark the document author should be able to quickly locate the bookmark. As
a first step in this direction we may introduce a menu which lists all labels
in a document, but that would be not an ideal solution for my particular
problem as it needs to search only in bookmarks (which probably may be
implemented as a subset of the set of labels).

Another issue with using labels as bookmarks is that labels are not convenient
to move: to move a bookmark one needs first delete in in one place and then
insert in an other place of the documents. A bookmarks should be movable more
easily.

--
Victor Porton - http://portonvictor.org