Re: [Texmacs-dev] Some problems with TeXmacs-QT: figures and UI

From: Joris van der Hoeven
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Some problems with TeXmacs-QT: figures and UI
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2011 23:56:30 +0100

Dear Michael,

On Thu, Jan 06, 2011 at 07:21:07PM +0100, Michael Lachmann wrote:
> 1.
> I still have a problem with plots in R.
> Attached is a sample document. It includes one figure generated in R,
> one generated in gnuplot.
> The R figure does not show up in texmacs-qt. It does show up when one
> converts to pdf (from inside texmacs-qt), and it also shows up in
> regular TeXmacs. Looking at the file with a text editor, I don't see and
> obvious difference between the two figures. Any idea what's wrong?

Yes, the bounding rectangle computation is no longer correct.
I asked Max to look into the problem, but any other volunteer
is welcome (see my previous mail on this topic on the list).

> 2.
> The top icons (new, open, save...) (again) don't show up when TeXmacs
> launches, but display on window resize.

Strange.

> 3.
> On my machine (OSX 10.5.8), the file dialog doesn't work very well. I
> think there is a problem with focus. If I switch to a different window,
> and back to the dialog, the problems solve themselves (no cursor, can't
> click in some areas...)

Which version of Qt do you use? We recommend the most recent Cocoa version.

> 4.
> When you close the last buffer TeXmacs exits. This is not the default
> behaviour in other Mac apps, and also not the default behaviour in
> emacs. (emacs opens a scratch buffer when you close the last one, or
> maybe you just can't close a scratch buffer). On a mac, closing the last
> window of a program keeps the program running, whereas in other systems
> (windows, linux) it often quits then. But I think there is a difference
> between closing the last buffer and closing the last window.
> In my opinion, the behaviour should be: close last buffer opens a new
> empty buffer, close the last window exists in Windows & Linux, but not
> in texmacs-qt on a mac (or any mac implementation with its own main
> menu).
> Of course there is the question whether cmd-w should close the buffer or
> the window...
> aquamacs closes the buffer on cmd-w, and keeps the window open with the
> next buffer, until it runs out of buffers, and then closes the window.
> (and of course keeps running and controllable via the top menu)

Yes, you are right that we should follow the Mac guidelines under Mac OS.

Best, --Joris