[Texmacs-dev] font menu problem in linux

From: Philippe Joyez
Subject: [Texmacs-dev] font menu problem in linux
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2011 12:40:04 -0800 (PST)

Hi all,

On Ubuntu 10.4 with texmacs recently compiled, the first time you try to
open a font menu (even accidentally) the system practically hangs. This
happens each time texmacs is restarted.

The reason is that for constructing the menu the program tries to "locate" a
large number of fonts each with multiple extension variant, and each
"locate" takes 8 seconds to complete on my system. Meanwhile it seems
texmacs is not giving back the focus or something of the sort: the mouse is
moving, other windows are updated, but you cannot switch app (neither using
the mouse nor the keyboard). As a result, if I wait for the completion of
this exploration, my system is unsuable for 15 plain minutes! Of course I'am
not that patient so I switch to the console and kill texmacs...

I could solve this problem by comenting out a line in init_texmacs.cpp so
that "use_locate" remains false. I don't know what other functionality might
be affected by this change, though.

Philippe