Re: [Texmacs-dev] Formal language support and packrat

From: Joris van der Hoeven
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Formal language support and packrat
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2010 14:26:31 +0200

On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 09:38:32AM +0100, Sam Liddicott wrote:
> please could you give us a paragraph or two on "Start formal language
> support" and what that means and how it will work out.

The objective is twofold:

  * Support for content markup, based on packrat parsing of mathematical
expressions.
  * Systematic syntactic highlighting and other grammar based features for
programming languages

For the moment, you may try Edit -> Preferences -> Keyboard -> Semantic editing
and you should be able to see green or red indication boxes when typing maths,
indicating whether the current formula can be parsed. Semantic selection of
subformulas and outward selection using C-space also works.

I don't know whether I will be able to finish everything that I have in mind,
but I should be able to make serious advance. I also tend to publish some
of my ideas, because it will be easier to find support for TeXmacs after
a few serious publications.

Best wishes, --Joris