[Texmacs-dev] Re: literate programming update

From: Sam Liddicott
Subject: [Texmacs-dev] Re: literate programming update
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 18:57:53 +0100

For those trying out, m-\ (windows \) can be used to enter nodes like <label|...> and <nf-ref|...> in a code block without any messy cut-n-paste.

Sam

On 21/07/10 12:11, Sam Liddicott wrote:
Thanks to great help from Joris I am able to offer a preview of the literate programming stylesheet for texmacs.

I still need to update the newfangle tool to generate the actual programs from the document. (It is currently designed to work on tex output from lyx).

You can get the style file and sample document and try it out from here:
https://savannah.nongnu.org/task/index.php?10516

Put the style file in your packages directory (for me, ~/.TeXmacs/packages/)

Joris, I may need your help to do something about the enormous number of page references that get generated in the references section at the end of the document which never get pruned. Because labels are generated based on a live field, new labels get generated every time the user makes a change to a listing name (i.e. each time they type the next letter of the listing name!) It may not be simple to know if a reference no longer has \label

todo:
* work out how to assign actions to key-shortcuts to insert nodes at a certain point of the tree.
for instance: \nf-ref can't be typed into a listing box because (thankfully) the \ comes out literally. So I need a keystroke combination to allow insertion of nodes. I would prefer a general key that makes \ become magic again, but others may also prefer keystrokes (and menus) to insert specific nodes like \label and \nf-ref (yes \label works)

* Fix text output so I can amend newfangle to generate programs.
I need a <specific|...> tag that triggers for text exports. There seems to be one for tex, html, printing, images and pretty much everything except text.

* add a shortcut that does document->update three times. Maybe one that does update a lot of times until the references section of the document stops changing (with an upper limit).

* fix html output which looks pretty rotten
(insert-go-to `(inactive (nf-ref ,"")))
* align the langle with the border of the listing. (I don't quite grock the difference between \move and \resize)

* work out how to use literate programming inside .ts files (rather than generate .ts from the .tm)

I've been using Lyx for literate programming of some large-ish commercial projects but I find although Lyx is further ahead with some features, I much prefer TeXmacs and the concepts behind it - I find it to be absolutely genius.

Texmacs treats the document as a program - not in the sense that html+_javascript_ does when you have a global state for the whole document, but in the tex sense (or SH) sense where the next part of the document is affected by the previous part of the document and affects the next part of the document.

For a long time I have wanted an editor where I can script document generation and latex was the closest I got (but it's too opaque) but TeXmacs is it! Thanks Joris and everyone else!

Sam
--
Sam's signature

--