Re: [Texmacs-dev] A few small patches

From: Joris van der Hoeven
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] A few small patches
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 14:28:49 +0200

On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 08:41:01AM +0100, Norbert Nemec wrote:

> >Do we really need non-ascii characters? The generated LaTeX files will
> >be more portable if we avoid non-ascii characters alltogether.
> >Only if the user allows the converter to put catcodes in the preamble,
> >we should allow for non-ascii characters, and add the necessary catcodes
>
> I agree that this would be the ideal solution. However, this would mean
> that the converter would need to take into accound the encoding of each
> individual font. Unfortunately, the binary character sequences within
> TeXmacs have their encoding defined only by the currently active font.

Well, we basically have Cork and Cyrillic. This should be replaced by unicode.

> Currently, only the CorkT1 encoding is properly transcoded to catcodes.
> (at least after my patch, that is...) If people use different fonts with
> different encodings somewhere in their TeXmacs document, these will not
> be translated correctly to LaTeX or anything else.

OK, but then why is it necessary to always include the additional packages?
In principle, the catcodes are only included for those symbols which
are really needed. By hacking the catcode generation mechanism a bit,
it should therefore be easy to adapt you patch in such a wat that
fontenc, etc. are only included if really needed.

Best wishes, --Joris

\documentclass{letter}

%%%%%%%%%% Start TeXmacs macros
\catcode`\?=\active \def?{\'e}