Re: [Texmacs-dev] A few small patches

From: Norbert Nemec
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] A few small patches
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 2009 21:25:24 +0100

Dear Joris,

if I recall correctly, I put the fontenc in only for its side-effect: Without fontenc, non-ascii characters in the source are simply dropped. With fontenc and without inputenc, they are simply passed through without reencoding. This is a rather fragile approach, but it is the only way to get correct results.

[The real core issue here is that TeXmacs does not really have an internal encoding. It simply handles byte strings and leaves it to the font to translate them into a graphical representation without ever knowing what the characters mean. This makes correct export virtually impossible.]

One could make the \usepackage[T1]{fontenc} dependent on whether there are non-ascii characters in the written latex. This, however, would need to be checked explicitely at some point. Currently, there is no way to determine it easily.

As for the tm_delete_array - Indeed, I am sure that it is safe. There is a subtle difference between putenv and setenv (see http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/2008/putenv.html) which means that one should delete in one case and one should not do so in the other case. As it turns out, either case produces a memory leak, but it is small enough not to worry about it.

Greetings,
Norbert

Joris van der Hoeven wrote:
Dear Norber,