Re: [Texmacs-dev] Qt-TeXmacs: segfault with KDE-Oxygen

From: Norbert Nemec
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Qt-TeXmacs: segfault with KDE-Oxygen
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 08:55:44 +0100

Thanks, Gubinelli, for this detailed explanation. I can understand the difficulties that you experienced. TeXmacs certainly is a tricky beast to marry with any toolkit...

After solving the problem with the KDE style, I have now been using Qt-TeXmacs for a day and am very happy about it. In general, it works much smoother than the original TeXmacs X11-GUI.

The only noticeable quirk that remains for me is, that Qt-TeXmacs does not quit cleanly. When I run it from the console, it does not finish after closing the last window, so I have to press Ctrl-C to regain control of the console. I don't know how exactly the event-loop is supposed to finish. At the moment, it is an infinite loop without any break statement...

Greetings,
Norbert

Gubinelli Massimiliano wrote:
Hi Norbert,

the status of the Qt port under Linux is not ideal. The main reason is that I'm developing the port under Mac and currently, due to lack of time, I'm not able to cross-test under Linux. I should mention that the Qt port works under mac and windows (in the sense that it does not segfaults like it does on linux). I've done some experimentations with different versions of Qt/X11 under Linux and for example the port works fine with the 4.4/debug version of the libraries. I don't thinks there is a real bug. I tend to think that the use of the Qt framework forced by TeXmacs structure is a bit unconventional and produce fragile code.

As far as the run-loop is concerned we tried different alternatives (both in Qt port and in the Cocoa port) the main constraint we have to face is that there should be some order in the call to the_interpose_handler (see qt_gui.cpp for example) which perform the update of internal TeXmacs structures after some inputs and the refresh of the exposed widgets. In the X11 port everything is carefully crafted by exaclty prescribing the order of operations : input handling, update, refresh. In modern GUIs like Qt or Cocoa usually the run-loop is controlled by the library and we haven't fund canonical ways to correclty sequence the calls to TeXmac internal functions (both for updating and refreshing).

I should mention also the fact that we have a cario renderer available and that if the problems with the Qt port cannot be reasonably resolved (for example now I found a bug apparently due to Qt) we should evaluate the option to shift to other cross-platform libraries like Gtk+ or wxWidgets, or the like.

Any suggestion to improve the status of the Qt port under linux is welcome.

Best,
Massimiliano