[Texmacs-dev] Re: Compiling TexMacs on OSX

From: Abdelrazak Younes
Subject: [Texmacs-dev] Re: Compiling TexMacs on OSX
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 22:20:15 +0200

Henri Lesourd wrote:
Abdelrazak Younes wrote:

Right, things such as dynamically switching from the Xlib or Cocoa frontends to the Qt frontend are not very interesting to me.

I don't want to dynamically switch from Xlib
to cocoa or Qt: what I want is, in the context
of one given toolkit (e.g., Qt), to be able to
load a chunk of *new* code which has been developed
independently.

You mean with another Qt?

Thus, a TeXmacs user could install TeXmacs
via RPM, then independently develop a
new kind of e.g., Qt filechooser, wrap
it inside a dynamic library, and finally
load this dll inside TeXmacs without ever
needing to recompile TeXmacs.

OK, AFAIU you'll be able to keep better compatibility of such plugins across versions of TeXmacs. But that's the only added feature of such kind of plugins.

This would bring complete extensibility
of the TeXmacs's widget set, and would
free *us* (i.e. the TeXmacs developers)
from the need to develop such new widgets
ourselves.

Many C++ programs have plugin support. In the case of Qt plugins the only thing to take care of is that the plugin are develop with a version lower or equal than the one with which TeXmacs was compiled, that's all.

So, if this is the only reason for the glue library, I don't see a very big added value.

Abdel.