Re: [Texmacs-dev] major barrier to adoption

From: Henri Lesourd
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] major barrier to adoption
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 12:59:45 +0100

Jeremy Henty wrote:

On Sat, Jan 12, 2008 at 01:53:39PM +0100, Henri Lesourd wrote:

He's  right. But  right  now  precisely, we  are  revamping the  GUI
completely (it's  being ported  to Qt, as  a starting point  ; other
ports are expected to become much easier once this initial port will
have been completed).

Just  out  of  interest, what  happened  to  the  idea of  porting  to
guile-gtk?

What happened is that Joris separated completely
the C++ GUI/widget-related code from the rest
of the code, and defined a clean API (which
still needs to be polished a little bit).

Now I am implementing the Qt port of
the TeXmacs GUI library, and Massimiliano
is tackling the task of porting the GUI
to  Mac OS.

In some time from now, these two tasks will
be completed, we will summarize our experiences,
and the TeXmacs's GUI API will be completely
polished.

At this point, other contributors will be
welcomed to write any other implementation
of the GUI, using any toolkit they want.

From inside the Scheme, an API will be
available to define new widgets, and it
will be the only one.

It will not be the guile-gtk API, but on
the other hand, we retain the possibility
of using another toolkit, by means of porting
the TeXmacs GUI API (i.e. : the C++ layer)
to this other toolkit. It mostly amounts
to implement a wrapper around the API of
the toolkit you want to port to).