Re: [Texmacs-dev] Reccurrent bug in with TLS data in the static version

From: Carl Witty
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Reccurrent bug in with TLS data in the static version
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 09:10:45 -0700

On Mon, 2007-10-22 at 17:26 +0200, Joris van der Hoeven wrote:
> I really don't see what I can do about this one.
> If someone has an idea...

I can explain what's happening, but not how to fix it.

The GNU libc has plugins for name lookups (computer name lookups, like
gethostbyname, and user name lookups, like getpwnam).  See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Name_Service_Switch for more information on
the concept, and
http://www.gnu.org/software/libc/manual/html_node/Name-Service-Switch.html for
more information on the implementation.

glibc automatically loads these plugins at run-time.  So if you
statically link an application against glibc, and ship it to another
computer, you're using your version of glibc but the second computer's
version of the plugins.  You're seeing a case where the plugin is not
binary-compatible with the version of glibc you're using (probably
because the two computers are using different threading
implementations).

Maybe you could try dynamically linking against glibc, and statically
linking against everything else?

Carl Witty