[Texmacs-dev] Fwd: Cocoa backend

From: Joris van der Hoeven
Subject: [Texmacs-dev] Fwd: Cocoa backend
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 22:14:17 +0100

----- Forwarded message from address@hidden -----

On 12/15/06, Massimiliano Gubinelli <address@hidden> wrote:
>  this is my first message to the list. I've discovered TeXmacs not a
>long time ago but until recently I had not the right appreciation of
>its quality and possibilities.
>After a long time spent in trying to imagine a better way to do
>(scientific) TeXing on the Mac I've realized that it is too expensive
>to hack TeX and better to start from the ground up, then I found that
>the typesetting engine of TeXmacs is very good and that the data
>structures of TeXmacs are the right foundation for a good and prosper
>life of any software based on them.
>
>So I'm here trying to put up a MacOSX (Cocoa) backend for TeXmacs. It
>is already running and works fine. Just some details have to be
>smeared off.
>The current status is a set of C++ classes to replace the X11 backend
>(window, display, drawable) and a replacement for the main function
>(since MacOSX app do not receive command line arguments). This was my
>way to start to understand TeXmacs code. I would really like to
>replace ALL the widgets by standard Cocoa widgets and make the app
>more Mac friendly. As it stands now probably it can run also in
>GNUstep (under Linux) since I use only the NextStep API (I believe).
>But in the future this may change: I would really like to leverage at
>maximum the capabilities of the Mac.

that is great news. I wanted to do such a thing myself, but wanted to wait
till the graphics layer is transfered to OpenGL or Cairo. Could you make
tour patches public? Or sent them to me. I would really like to join in and
help. At the moment I am working on a Spotlight plugin for TeXmacs and have
made a preliminary AppPackage for the X11 version, so that you can use the
Finder to open documents and so on.

I could work on these parts and an some AppleScript-Texmacs interface for a
native TeXmacs version.

Again many thanks,

Ingolf