Re: [Texmacs-dev] TeXmacs server

From: Henri Lesourd
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] TeXmacs server
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2006 15:40:06 +0200

Joris van der Hoeven wrote:

My point here is that the Wiki I want to create is *NOT* a general purpose Wiki.

OK, things are clear, now.

But I have no time to do this, so this second step will completely depend
on volunteers.

This would be an interesting project.

a very precise data format which can be used both
by TeXmacs and other wikis in a 100% reliable manner. LaTeX is no good
for this.
Right. The only reason why it is used in all the wiki-based
math software is that it can be compiled easily, but for
sure, this is not the best format.

The only problem is that it seems highly irrealistic to
imagine doing this if you expect being easily able to go
beyond simple word-to-word translations.

!? It suffices to build a dictionary (like for the .po format),
but with TeXmacs trees as entries and translations.
Such trees should be as small as possible (they may be entire
documents, but it is preferrable to take paragraphs or even
sentences (harded, because less structured)).
When you say "as small as possible", you don't really
consider the difficult problem of automatically finding
the borders of these trees.

And if you don't tackle this problem (i.e., you rely
on heuristics), then your approach becomes qualitatively
similar to the one first described by Alvaro, excepts
that it removes control from the user.