Re: [Texmacs-dev] TeXmacs' future

From: Felix Breuer
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] TeXmacs' future
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 05:09:48 +0000

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 21:37:52 +0100
Joris van der Hoeven <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 22, 2006 at 09:09:25AM +0000, Felix Breuer wrote:
> > 1) d.r.d.
> >
> > What are the plans for data relation descriptions? Is anybody working on
> > a specification/design document? What has already been implemented? And,
> > most importantly, what is the general concept behind them?
>
> The D.R.D. is a D.T.D. *plus* additional logical properties of the D.T.D.
> For instance, you may wish to say which tags are "sectional tags",
> so that sectional cursor motion can be implemented in a straightforward way
> or so that they can be exported in a uniform way to LaTeX.
> Currently, the D.R.D. mainly manages important properties like
> the arity of a tag, which children are accessible by the cursor, etc.
> More things, like block/inline properties and environment variables
> should be added within not too long. Documentation should also be
> completed slowly but surely.

I read the chapter in the manual about D.R.D.s and I am looking forward to
"a more complete formal description of D.R.D.s".

In the light of the literate programming discussion: Is it possible to
define a D.R.D. that says "the contents of this tag are supposed to be
serialized verbatim when using the literate serialization mechanism"?

> > 2) scripting language independence
> >
> > I think something was mentioned about making it possible to script
> > TeXmacs with other languages than scheme. What became of this?
>
> At the moment, I have no time for this. I would already be happy to
> have a decent and well document interface in Scheme. I also more and
> more believe that Scheme is a great scripting language for TeXmacs.

I can live with Scheme. I was just asking out of interest.

More important than a different language would be a more complete
documentation of the TeXmacs API, but I can understand that this is
a lot of work.

> > 3) OpenGL backend
> >
> > Also, I remember something about creating an OpenGL drawing backend
> > for TeXmacs. This would interest me a lot, especially if this would
> > make it possible to link my own OpenGL apps against TeXmacs and have
> > TeXmacs do the text layout and rendering for me.  :)
>
> This will be under thorough discussion with Henri Lesourd as soon as
> version 1.0 of the graphics mode will be ready.

Good. I will join the discussion then.

Thanks again,
Felix