Re: [Texmacs-dev] address@hidden: Re: Association]

From: M. Edward (Ed) Borasky
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] address@hidden: Re: Association]
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 11:18:27 -0800

Fascinating idea! I'm familiar with OFSET's main product, FreeDUC. I don't remember whether it has TeXmacs on it or not, but I used it to great success last spring in our company's "Take Your Child To Work Day".

I would certainly join an association for scientific software, although it isn't at all clear how much time I'd have available to contribute beyond my normal "beta testing" of R, TeXmacs, Axiom, Maxima and the other packages I use frequently.

One other note: anyone who is at all interested in free as in speech scientific software should check out Dirk Eddelbuettel's Quantian distro at

http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/quantian/

Maybe a "Quantian Foundation" would be a good start.

Joris van der Hoeven wrote:

Hi,

Regarding our discussion about the creation of an association for
scientific software, I forward some interesting suggestions by one
of the founders of the OFSET association (with a similar purpose
in the case of educational software).

Best wishes, Joris

----- Forwarded message from Hilaire Fernandes <address@hidden> -----