Re: [Texmacs-dev] New REDUCE plugin (second try)

From: Andrey G. Grozin
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] New REDUCE plugin (second try)
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 20:16:48 +0700 (NOVST)

On Wed, 19 Oct 2005, Joris van der Hoeven wrote:
Andreas: can you please take into account Andrey's remarks and
send me a tarball with the new plug-in. Then I will include it
for the next version.
My script is not required for working with the reduce plugin; any modification of the current reduce script which checks if we are running under TeXmacs and disables redfront would be enough. I simply propose an alternative to the standard reduce script, which is ... hmm ... too minimalistic and inflexible.

Please make it as simple as possible for user to install the plug-in.
Ideally speaking, plug-ins are assumed to run out of the box (which is
actually the case for all plug-ins except reduce), so you are assumed
to hack something together to get that done. If the compilation of
some additional package is needed, then you might modify the tm_reduce
script so that this package is compiled when needed. This is what
we recently did in the cases of Maple and Mathematica.
This is not easy if reduce is installed by root. First, one has to correct errors made by the reduce-3.8 installer (one way is explained at the Andreas' web page; I did it long ago and slightly differently). While we are at it, it would be good to correct permissions of files in the reduce tree: they seem random and prevent normal operation: users cannot read help files, some text files have the executable bit set, etc. This is a mess; I'm sure any reasonable sysadmin has made many necessary changes in his reduce installation, and rewriting the startup script is a minor detail compared to the rest of it. While doing all this work, it would be easy to add the line about tmprint.red to package.red, and build tmprint.b by mkpckge.

It would be good to write prominantly in README (or INSTALL or whatever) that
1. only reduce-3.8 is supported;
2. if the user used the old reduce interface, it will suddenly stop working; and what to do to make it work again

Just some thoughts.

Andrey