Re: [Texmacs-dev] Image library

From: Dan Martens
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Image library
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 14:08:36 -0400

Joris,

What about Freeimage, that's what the windows version uses in place of ghostscript.

Joris van der Hoeven wrote:

On Mon, Jun 27, 2005 at 11:55:04AM +0000, Felix Breuer wrote:
Someone can recommend me a standard image library for speeding up
the rendering of images inside TeXmacs (i.e. to be used instead of
ghostscript for all formats except for Postscript).
I am no expert on this topic, but two libraries come to mind:

 * ImageMagick http://www.imagemagick.org
* Imlib and Imlib2
The former is more feature-rich and "the standard". The latter are more
light-weight and faster.

I wrote an internal plug-in for Imlib2.

I also lost one afternoon on ImageMagick yesterday;
its rendering scheme is to X-unfriendly: although there is
internal support for conversion to X images and rendering them,
nothing of this is available at the user level. One may render
in a pixel-by-pixel manner, but this is way too slow.
Unfortunately, Imlib2 has no support for animated gifs.

A propos, you may also want to look at
 * http://www.antigrain.com/ (more exotic)
 * http://www.cairographics.org/

Henri told me about Cairo. Antigrain looks nice too.
At a certain point, it would be good to replace all rendering
inside TeXmacs by a library like this one. This should be
fairly easy, because we already have an abstract "ps_device" and
we always use shadows before rendering. It would suffice to
replace the shadow by a buffer from another library and
write fast routines for displaying them to X Drawables
(if not already supported by the library).

Thanks for the pointers, Joris