Re: [Texmacs-dev] Subscripts in titles

From: Joris van der Hoeven
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Subscripts in titles
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 14:30:54 +0100 (CET)

> > This might be true. The problem goes away if you
> > run TeXmacs as root.
> >
> > On the other hand this problem is widespread. I
> > can exhibit it on 3 machines using three different GNU/Linux
> > distributions:
> >

> I have the same problem (Debian testing) and I cannot become root. Does
> anybody know exactly what font packages are needed for TeXmacs to work
> perfectly?
>
> Ralph, shouldn't the TeXmacs debian package recommend these packages then?
>
> If it is such a widespread problem, the fix may become a very useful
> faq item.

The best fix would be to solve the problem, which is known since Redhat 7.3.
The problem is that some directories where Metafont generates its fonts
are write-protected. We really need a TeX-expert in order to tell us
how to call metafont (actually MakeTeXTFM, etc.) so as to create the fonts
at an appropriate place.

By the way, when using TrueType fonts, the problem probably disappears.