[Texmacs-dev] The latest with wierd applications of texmacs

From: Corey Sweeney
Subject: [Texmacs-dev] The latest with wierd applications of texmacs
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 21:51:22 -0600

I"ve been out of the loop so i figure i'm due for some kind of comment

Well i finished my talk.  It seemed to go ok.   I don't know if i
actually persuaded anyone to actually use it. heh

I've recently been writing a paper that includes scheme files (using
the \include command).  It would be nice if I could get any occurance
of "(lambda (x) ..." to be written as "($\lambda (x) ...".  I'm
imagining we don't have any tools for this (like a automatic
abreviation expander or something).  It's not worth writing something
big for, but if anyone gets any ideas as to how we could do something
like that, i'm all ears.

Interestingly over the past few weeks i've been looking through some
data directories on old systems, and i came to a interesting
realization.  I did not start using texmacs a few months ago as i
thought.  It ends up i've tried it 3 other times in the past, and
tossed it away every time after investigating it.  Including one time
where i tossed it then went and hacked lyx to support scheme.  I
imagine if i didn't catch the beauty of the system the first few times
i saw it, others could easily be missing it.

I've been wondering if there is a way to do "hard hyphenation".  By
that i mean something that forces a hyphenation, even if it's a
unhyphenable word, or it's at the wrong spot in a word.  For example,
it would come in really usefull here:

http://students.depaul.edu/~csweeney/Screenshot.png

Notice that the "i686-pc-linux-gnu" would be much better broken into 2
lines.  Also notice that at the bottom of the screen that
"reallyannoyinglyreallextraannoyinglylongname" is hard hyphenated (by
nautilus).

I realize everything looks like a pdf file in that.  That's cause i
can't figure out what file gnome keeps the mime data in, so i can't
pull the right icons.  grr.  If anyone has ideas on this feel free to
send them my way too.

Corey