Re: [Texmacs-dev] 3 questions i'm stuck on.

From: Joris van der Hoeven
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] 3 questions i'm stuck on.
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2004 19:42:17 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004, Corey Sweeney wrote:
> Question #1:
> The documentation talks about how we have the ability to insert
> comments.

These are not the comments you are talking about, but "remarks"
in articles or books.

> However I have seen no place where it tells you *how* to
> insert comments.  i tried using the differnt quotes and stuff to no
> avail.  I see 2 types of comments that woudl be usefull.
>
> type 1 - when writing a document, having "notes to self" that display
> on the screen, but don't print.
> type 2 - when working in "source code" or style sheets or whatever,
> having functions that don't run, and notes on future possibilities in
> the programming context.
>
> how do we do either/bolth of these?

Type 1 is a bit complicated in the sense that it heavily breaks
the wysiwygness. Nevertheless, it is possible to add content which
is specific to screen usage, but it takes no space. This is used
for instance for the informative flags. See

        Insert -> Specific -> Screen

As to type 2: any content in a style file which does not modify
the environment can be considered as a comment.

> A quick bacrground  - In the tmhtml.scm file they referenced a
> function (tmhtml env title).  This grabs the state from a macro called
> tmdoc-title, and i don't know how.   When using the tmdoc-traversal
> package, and i type <tmdoc-title|neatotitle>, the string "neatotitle"
> comes out of the tmhtml function.  I tried to do something similar
> that created a null macro like <assign|web-title|macro|titlename|<arg
> titlename>> and it did not work.
>
> So my question is - How do I maintain state from macro calls, in the
> standard texmacs way?

Before exporting to Html, all macros except those in an explicit list,
are evaluated using the current style sheet in use. So you will never
see any "assign" primitives when converting from Html.

> A related issue is the question: why do we use "assign" instead of
> "define" which is speced in R5RS?  it would seem to me i would want to
> do <assign|web-title|macro|titlename|<define|web-title-name-var|<arg
> titlename>>>, but if assign was define, we could reference the
> "web-title" variable directly, and the second define would be
> irrelavant.

You seem to confuse between the TeXmacs stylesheet language and Scheme.
TeXmacs uses a stylesheet language which is similar to Scheme,
but more directed to structured document processing than programming.

> Question #3:
> what does tools->web->create web site do?  I have not been able to
> find any documentation on it, or notice it doing anything when i click
> it :)

You specify a source directory documents and a destination directory.
All .tm files in the source directory will recursively be converted
into .html documents in the destination directory.

Yours, Joris